June 16, 2009

The Best Kind of Update - Full of Pictures!

So much has been so much going on the past few weeks!

Our windows are being installed on Friday!

Our guest bedroom looks like a warzone!

Okay, it's been cleaned up since then, but we haven't started painting because we can't open our old crummy windows.

Speaking of war zones, we have had some interesting weather. Last Wednesday the Alliance Airport area was hit with a massive storm that rocked the community. Our street was littered with tree branches and our house took a slight hit. One of our turbines flew off of the roof! We have a little bit of water damage in our living room ceiling, but other than that we fared pretty well. I cannot believe that neither of our trees were touched. It doesn't even look like a single leaf is missing. We lost power for almost 3 days. It finally came back on Saturday afternoon. We are so thankful for the Wrights who let us stay with them the first night (until they too lost power) and the Dendy's for letting us borrow their mud room refrigerator and also their guest bedroom. We'd be out an awful lot of food and money otherwise!

Also last Wednesday, a city-hired contractor started digging holes on our street. We weren't notified and we didn't find out until today what they are doing. Wednesday they hit a gas main which I didn't know about until after the storm settled (which I am grateful for because storms stress me out enough as it is!). We came home from the store this afternoon and found a freshly dug hole in our front yard! I don't mind the hole so much now that I know they are installing street lights (that are MUCH needed), but none of us on the block knew what was going on. For some reason they felt the need to drive a tractor on my lawn though, which I am hoping they will fix. They apparently "fixed" it today, but as you can see from the following pictures, it still looks pretty terrible. As far as I can tell, we're the only house's lawn they did this to.

Looking at that picture makes me think our lawn is kind of scary. Forest mowed it last Monday. We got so much rain though, I'm not surprised it looks so wild!

A few weeks ago, Grace graduated from Kindergarten! She was so cute getting her diploma although she looked pretty confused about all of it. Next year she is off to Lakeview Elementary! She thankfully has stopped having seizures recently which means she has lost some benefits with MDCP. This doesn't affect me too much, I'll make a little bit less this year but work a significant amount of hours less than I did last year. It's worth it for her not to have seizures anymore!

And here are some random pictures of Grace that I think are adorable!


We broke down and got a new camera. We got a Canon SX10 and it is HUGE. Thankfully it's pretty light. I love that the view finder is "flexable". I took the picture below of Grace and I and Grace is looking at herself in the view finder. It takes amazing pictures, much better than on our old camera (which you can see in the shots of Grace above).

And because it's just so darn cute...

I guess that is everything for right now...it's been a really crazy week, we spent most of today catching up from not doing any laundry or housework for 4 days. It's amazing the things we can take for granted. Not having power impacts your life in every single way. I hope we don't have to do that again anytime soon...

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Hi Jenny! I bet you are kinda used to that storm business. I had never experienced anything like it until we moved to Michigan and then it seemed we lost our power or "evacuated" to our basement frequently. I'm glad you and your home are okay. Little Grace really is cute and you are cute in that picture too! I bet you get a lot of fulfillment taking care of her.

Meredith said...

Awww, love the new pics of Grace, she is such a cutie pie! I hope you're having a great trip, can't wait to see pictures and hear stories!!!!