I haven't posted in a few days because I've been ripping apart our site...again. I guess I am never satisfied. I think it's staying like this for a bit, but I said that a few months ago. I did figure out how to intigrate our gallery into wordpress, which was probably the biggest geek moment of mine in a while. I actually got up and started dancing. For those of you who care, that means my gallery (my pictures, that is) will look just like the rest of my blog. I'm still trying to tweak stuff into the right place and for some reason I can't get it right. If I try to get it perfect though, I will never post again and with this week's events, I didn't want to wait forever.
Although I think most of the people who read my blog are members of the LDS Church, for those of you who are not, our President and Prophet, Gordon B. Hinckley, died on Sunday. He has been Prophet for almost 13 years and therefore the majority of my life. When I heard the news, all I could think was how happy he probably was to be with his wife and our Heavenly Father again. Some might find it strange that I am feeling happy about his death, but there is no other way to describe it. He lived a very full life (he would turn 98 years old on June 23rd) and accomplished all that he set out to do, I'm sure. The biggest blessing the Church has given me is the fact that I know deep in my heart that we will be united with our loved ones again. I lost several family members very early in my life but have been comforted even as a small child with this knowledge. My favorite talk of his was the "6 B's" talk given only to the youth and young adults of the Church in 2000. I was 17 at the time and going through a horrible period in my life. I unfortunately suffer from chronic depression, something I've learned to overcome in recent years, but struggled with it quite badly as a teenager. Now, I grew up in the Church but gaining a testimony of it was something that was difficult for me. I knew it was true, but really didn't have reasons to tell myself or anyone else why I thought it was true. After hearing our Prophet speak directly to the youth, and therefore feeling it was directly to me, I knew that my testimony had just begun to grow, even if it was just the slightest bit. It has been a very long battle for me to fully understand how I feel about the Church. Starting with that particular talk, he helped me on the path that I am on now. My life in the last 7 years has changed dramatically but I can still take those words into heart and use them even now. He was such an inspiration to those he taught and he will be greatly missed.
I think that is all I have the energy for tonight, I will continue my thoughts after a good night's rest!
No comments:
Post a Comment