January 22, 2010

Grabert Demolition

Tonight starts a process that will probably take a month or two to complete, updating 2 of the "worst rooms" in our house. To give you a little bit of a back story on our house:

Our house has 2 bedrooms, two full baths, a living room, an entry way and a kitchen with dining room attached. Every room has a problem with the paint, the two biggest offenders being the guest bedroom and the living room. Every wall in the house is covered in texture, texture that was not applied right and needs to be completely redone. This is some what of an involved process, we need to sand everything off of the walls down to the drywall. After getting the walls smooth, we'll prime the walls and depending on what the walls look like after sanding, possibly texture the walls and then (FINALLY!) paint.

The guest bedroom project started last summer. Forest and our friend Bryce tried to blend the uneven texture, but it was pretty much impossible to do. They also didn't realize that the previous owners painted right over the wallpaper! That absolutely needs to be removed. After that is done, we'll clean up the giant mess it will make, then move all of the furniture from the living room into the guest bedroom. Then we'll do the same thing in the living room. The texture isn't as thick, but the room is about 25X15 and has 12 foot ceilings! We are also going to replace every door frame and the baseboards. Home Depot has these nifty miter-less door frame kits that actually aren't any more expensive then doing it the old fashion way, and they fit right into my decor! Between the entry way and living room, we have 9 doorways. 6 of them are in the entry way! After we get the living room painted, we're going to move all of the furniture back into the living room. We'll then paint the guest bedroom and then install laminate flooring in the entry way and guest bedroom.

I know, it sounds like an insane amount of work. It kind of is, but thankfully we have a good idea of what we are doing now. Forest's major concern in this project? Where we were going to put the speakers for our Home Theater when we arrange the furniture. Since we are installing new baseboards and door frames, it will finally be easy to hide the wires somewhere other than under our rug. The TV is blocking the fireplace at the moment and when this is all done, I'll actually be able to show it off! I won't EVER use it (I live in Texas, after all!) but for some reason everyone loves having them down here.

The only problem I am worried about at the moment is color. Colors for the guest bedroom have been picked out for almost a year now (I know, sad right?) but Forest and I are debating for the living room. I want to do a beige color with country red trim, something very prim. He, for some reason, thinks the trim should be white, which is of course, very boring. So, I'm asking for ideas!

I am super excited about this project. It'll be a HUGE under taking but I am willing to deal with a few weeks of madness to finally update that living room. I'll post pictures as we get the project started!

1 comment:

Meredith said...

Good luck with that...sounds like a nightmare! But I'm not much of a fixer-upper; painting is about my extent of changing up a room! It'll be so great when it's done, can't wait to see it! Good luck!