1. Human Calendar: Although I am not so great at it anymore, I used to remember everyone's birthdays and anniversaries. I have 40 first cousins and my parents both have 5 brothers and sisters and I know most of their birthdays. Now I know everyone's birthday and anniversary in Forest's family (although three of them shouldn't count, his twin sisters share a birthday with my Mom, our niece shares a birthday with my Grandpa and his parents were married on my birthday!). I also remember pretty vividly details about family gatherings, what took place there, where it was, what day it was, things like that.
2. Radiology Major: When I left High School I had already finished college credits in Patient Care through a program called Allied Health. During my senior year, we were able to shadow nurses and doctors in 6 different areas of a clinic and get a feel for what type of profession we would want to go into. I fell in love with Radiology pretty much right away. I still wonder if my love for pictures had anything to do with that. I was set to start the Radiographer program in 2003 after spending two years finishing my prerequisite courses. In the summer of 2002 none of my classes were running, so I was working none stop. I met Forest in June and met him in person in August. I went back to school in September and only lasted a month. I had the worst case of mono I have ever seen. I was dead-in-my-bed sick for 6 weeks and was still feeling the affects of it for months after that. I had to drop out of school for the semester. Before the spring semester started, I decided to move to Texas to be closer to Forest. I never did go back to school because I knew we would be getting married and starting a family. My plans haven't panned out like I had hoped, but I'm glad I can be there for the Dendy's instead of taking care of irate patients!
3. My Nickname: My nickname is Jennibee or simply just Bee. It started when I was 9 years old, in 4th grade. I was a bee for Halloween and unfortunately we do not have pictures of this! Just a few months later, Blind Melon released "No Rain" which had a little bee girl in the video. My Mom and my sister, Crystal, started calling me Jennibee as a joke and it eventually just stuck. That was 15 years ago and they rarely call me Jenny. My dining room is also bee themed, as giving me bee related decor has become a norm in our family. I started collecting Boyd's Bears when I was 11 and they pair nicely with bees as well. When Forest and I were married, we were taking photos outside in front of the chapel. My friend Nicole was fixing my train and noticed that a bumblebee was trying to pollinate my dress! It was the biggest bumblebee I have ever seen and we figured that was a good omen that we were going to be a happy couple.
4. Ich spreche Deutsch: I learned how to speak German in high school and college. I am very rusty these days, as there aren't many german folks down in Texas. I could never speak it very fluently, but I can read it pretty well. It's a fun language to learn, even if it's not the nicest sounding one. I have quite a bit of German heritage, as does Forest (Grabert comes from Gräber, which means "Graves") so I married the right person to have a last name that fits my own heritage!
5. I'm a Nerd: I know that this doesn't sound interesting, but how many girl nerds are there? ;) I have pictures from high school to prove it. Actually, I consider myself a nerd because I know more than one should about particularly nerdy categories. I love science fiction (Star Wars is one of the greatest movies ever made!), I play intelligent video games in my spare time, I know HTML backwards and forwards, I know the first 20 of so digits of Pi by heart, I get excited when Forest buys new computer guts and I get to help him fix computer hardware. Forest and I go pretty perfectly together. My Dad is kind of a "nerdy" guy, but in a much cooler way than I am. He always told me that I needed to find a husband that could fix my computer because he wasn't going to be doing it for me for the rest of his life. He also told that to my sister. Forest and Rob (my brother in law) both work in IT and my Dad hasn't had to fix either of our computers in years.
This was taken at my 16th birthday party in 1999. From L to R: Amanda, Rachel, Dane, Me, Sarah is behind me, then my cousin Jessie, and my brother Keith. Notice I am wearing a Star Wars shirt. I also had braces and glasses (I wear contacts now). I was always proud to be whatever I was, I am proud to be a nerd, it gives me a little character!
6. Music: I don't like silence and I love music. So, whenever I'm home and not watching TV, my music is on. I sing and dance while ironing. The vacuum noise competes with Pink Floyd or the Beatles on a regular basis. My cell phone is used more as an MP3 player than a phone. I'm listening to music at this very moment (The Birthday Massacre - Movie, awesome song!). I'm not partial to any one type either, I love most kinds. I have a list a mile long of favorite bands. I'm a singing non-singer. I thankfully know I can't sing very well or I would be one of the people Simon makes fun of on American Idol. My music appreciation is attributed to my Dad who has excellent taste in music. Unfortunately for us, he would find something new, get hooked on it and play it until we threatened to use the CD as a Frisbee. I am glad I didn't inherit that trait! When I was visiting them this August, it was the new Meatloaf album. After 29 years of marriage, I think my Mom has learned to let that one go ;)
Hey, I didn't do half bad...I suppose even I am interesting ;)
No comments:
Post a Comment