Forest's Birthday: Forest turned 26 years old on the 15th. As we both worked on his birthday, we didn't have a ton of time to do anything really fancy, but did have a very good dinner at Saltgrass Steakhouse. We planned a trip over Thanksgiving weekend a few months ago and got to really celebrate his birthday while on our little getaway.
Thanksgiving: We spent Thanksgiving with Forest's sister Laura and her boyfriend Adam. Adam really wanted to make the turkey this year, which was great because it was one less thing I had to deal with! I made an array of side dishes and once our turkey finally got done (after 7 hours) we had a nice dinner. We watched quite a few movies and played an epic game of Phase Ten, in which I horribly lost. My favorite part was when we ate dessert before dinner and then more dessert after. It's fun being an adult when you can decide things like that!
Our Mini-Vacation: In October I decided it would be a great idea to get out of DFW and explore the rest of Texas a little bit. Forest had driven to Corsicana last year to fix something at a Wal-Mart when he was doing field work prior to his move to the Library. On his way he passed a drive-in movie theater and wanted to go. So, we stayed in a city called Waxahachie, which itself is a very fun little place to visit. It's called the "Gingerbread City" because a lot of the architecture resembles Gingerbread Houses. Corsicana is a little more south of Waxahachie and again, has all sorts of fun things to do. We went to the Russel Stover's outlet, right next to one of their factories. It might be dangerous for some people to wander into that place. I got a few Christmas gifts but the only thing I got for Forest and I was ribbon candy and we somehow haven't eaten it all. Corsicana is also known for the Collin's Street Bakery, which has delicious fruitcake. I tried a sample, liked it and I usually cannot stand fruitcake. We didn't buy any but did get a few treats. Trying to watch the sugar intake while standing in a bakery full of donuts and cookies is hard, but I actually did a good job considering the damage I could have caused. After seeing some of the other sights in Corsicana, we went to Ennis where the drive-in theater is located. Ennis has a Czech restaurant/bakery and also a smaller sister bakery. Unfortunately the restaurant was closed by the time we got there, but the small bakery was open. I got to try my first Kolache! It was really good, I'm going to look forward to that treat every time we are there. The drive-in theater was such a fun treat for us! The food from the stand was actually quite delicious, we completely pigged out! We saw Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium and Fred Claus, both very good holiday movies. It was nice to get away for a little bit, even if it was just a little ways down south. We plan on doing this trip every once in a while, when we feel the need to be by ourselves for the weekend. I'll post pictures soon!
25 Days of Christmas: The celebration of Christmas started today! I was with Grace all day while Jennie helped with the Stake Nativity display (which I can't wait to see tomorrow!). Roanoke has a parade downtown every year along with strolling carolers, story time in the newly restored historic Rock Hotel and treats at some of the local shops. Grace had a good day, she was being very good with me, but was being a little bit grouchy once Jennie got home just before we left for the parade. She was rather good for the rest of the night although she was being very squirmy just before the parade started. I put her on my shoulders and she was happy as can be. We were worried the sirens from the fire trucks would bother her, but for the most part she was very happy. She was being cute as a button, squealing and bouncing away. Jennie and Dallas have Dish Network and a DVR, so the girls and I were searching for all of the fun Christmas movies. Apparently Harry Potter is a Christmas movie, because ABC Family is playing the first three as part of their 25 Days of Christmas Celebration. Go figure.
Sunday and Monday we are going to spend most of the day cleaning up and decorating our house. I'm not feeling very good about decorating our house because we aren't going to have anyone to spend it with. Jennie isn't decorating her apartment as all of her things are in storage and she doesn't have a formal living room. Grace would have a tree knocked over in seconds flat. So, I am thinking about having them over to enjoy the tree I am going to spend a few hours decorating! When I get it done I'll take a picture. Now that the leaves are off the trees next to our window you'll be able to see our tree from the road! It'll be nice!
Hope you're all having fun getting ready for the holidays and to Meredith, I hope you start to feel better soon!
No comments:
Post a Comment