December 21, 2007

conversations with kids

I had a very funny conversation with Alexa the other day that I thought I might share. We got on the subject of having babies, and she asked if I wanted to have a baby. When I replied, "I really want to, but I might not be able to have one", the rest went something like this:

Alexa: (In a high pitch "ahhhh" kind of voice) "You can't have kids?"

Me: "I might not be able to have my own, but we don't know yet"

Alexa: "Why not?"

Me: "I have a condition that makes it really hard to have one, but I know someone with it who has 4 kids, so there is hope!"

Alexa: "If you don't have one will you adopt?"

Me: "Yes, if it comes to that I think we will adopt"

Alexa: "I know! You should adopt a little girl who is my age and I can be her best friend!"

Me: "That sounds great, but if I adopt anyone I can't come take care of Grace and hang out with you guys all day."

Alexa: "Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! Then you shouldn't have a baby for a long long long time!"

Me: "Alright...if you insist"

I can't imagine what Grace would say at the possibility that I will eventually have to leave her. I guess Alexa answered it for me!

No comments: